KMC New York will become an object of pilgrimage, definitely. It is like a pure land.” – Ven. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche, KMC NY Temple Opening, 2006
Kadampa Meditation Center New York is part of a big vision. As the mother center for the New Kadampa Tradition in the United States, this center gives the opportunity for people to create meaningful lives. Those who attend our spiritual programs or just visit the grounds, whether Kadampa Buddhists or not, create the causes for inner peace in their own minds and the ability to help create peace in this world. Additionally, all of the income generated from the activities of KMC New York go to the International Temples Project (ITP), with the purpose of being used to create other traditional temples and city centers around the US and world.
As those who have visited are well aware, KMC New York does not have the infrastructure to allow the Temple function at its full capacity. Because of this, we have embarked on building a new dining and accommodations facility. Completion of the new building is planned for Fall 2022.
A Dining Hall that Accommodates 180 People
Who has been cramped in our current dining room, squeezing elbow to elbow with your dining partners? Our current dining room can fit 40 people tightly.
Imagine spacious indoor dining and outdoor deck seating overlooking the woods.
15 New Comfortable Accommodations!
For most courses currently, we are able to offer 3-5 private rooms, in addition to shared rooms and dorms. Are you sick of trying to book a private room at KMC NY, only to find out that they sold out within a few minutes of registering for an event opening?
This new building will house 15 new rooms:
- 2 ADA accessible rooms,
- 7 en-suite rooms (i.e. includes a bathroom in the room), and
- 6 rooms with “jack and jill” style bathrooms (i.e. two rooms share one bathroom).
A Large, Modern Commercial Kitchen
Our vegetarian and vegan meals already receive high praise by all who visit. Did you know currently, our food is created in a kitchen the size of most residential kitchens? Our cooks are like magicians: with one stove and a rice cooker, they are able to make delicious, healthy food for up to 250 people! Imagine now, with the new space with more equipment, larger storage for ingredients and lots of space, our cooks are going to be able to produce even more spectacular meals for hundreds of people.
- Camper’s toilets, showers, and laundry room
- Second phase: Future home of Tharpa Publications US: A larger warehouse and office
- Second phase: A future second meditation room that will allow for more retreats and classes to happen.
- More people can enjoy and take advantage of this blessed environment, whether it be to attend group retreats and courses, or to do private retreat, or to take a break from daily life on a vacation in the Catskills.
- With this infrastructure, we can look to building more accommodations in the future, including places for people to do long term retreat
Donate to help create this building
To accomplish the completion of this building, we are seeking donations. Our phase one fundraising goal is to reach $750,000 by the end of 2021.
By giving to this project, you are helping to create the causes for many people to enjoy the blessed US World Peace Temple and develop inner peace. If you are interested in helping out, you can:
- Make a one-time donation
- Set up a recurring monthly donation by clicking “Make this a monthly donation” on the form.
All donations to KMC New York are tax deductible. Use the button below to make a donation online.
Donations Raised so far in 2021
Or checks can be mailed to: KMC NY, PO Box 447, Glen Spey, NY 12737 (please include “new building donation” in the memo line.
If you wish to set-up a matching donation, donate more than $5,000 or give stock, please email Zangmo, our Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.