Dear Community of KMC New York,
We have received updated guidelines for livestreaming from the NKT that we would like to share with you.
Since the start of the pandemic, KMC New York and all Dharma Centers received temporary permission to livestream and record teachings for the first time in NKT history. This decision was made out of compassion for people during such a challenging time. Because of this, we were able to provide Dharma to thousands of people from all over the world including those who live very far away from any center.We are very grateful for being able to offer this to you over the last two and a half years. Thank you!
However, as the world returns to more normality it is necessary to revise the temporary guidelines given previously, and the NKT has prepared new ones, based on the Internal Rules and on this advice received from Venerable Geshe-la about the importance of our Dharma Centers:
Living beings receive ultimate benefit from both Buddhadharma and Dharma
Centers. The development of Dharma knowledge, Dharma experience and
Dharma realizations all come from Dharma Centers. Therefore, they are the
source of all happiness and are extremely precious, like priceless jewels that
bestow ultimate benefit.
As of September 1st 2022, KMC New York’s new guidelines are as follows:
· We will no longer livestream or record weekly classes, courses, retreats, or empowerments.
· Our Foundation Program and Teacher Training Program will continue to livestream for correspondence students in our catchment area of NY, NJ, and PA who cannot attend in-person due to disability or long-distance.
· Festivals and Dharma Celebrations hosted at KMC New York will be recorded and streamed to those who cannot attend in person for disability reasons or distance within our catchment area after the event has finished.
We understand that this might be a big change for people, especially for those who found us through livestreamed classes.
If you live in the Tri-State area but do not live close to KMC New York, we would like to give the following encouragement:
– Attend our weekly in-person branch classes in Albany, Beacon, Saratoga Springs, Warwick (NY), Sparta (NJ), Milford, and Scranton (PA).– Request us to offer a branch class in your area. Requesting is very important for the growth of branches and centers.
– If you have been attending classes regularly consider enrolling into Foundation Program with Gen Samten on Sundays 3-5pm and 6-8pm. This study program will continue to livestream for those in our area who cannot attend in person due to disabilities or long-distance.
2022 has been a great year for us so far as we’ve seen an increase in attendance at our retreats and many people visiting the Temple. We are excited for this new chapter ahead where we can focus our energy towards all of the activities here at the Temple, our branches, and outreach.If we hear any more updates we will let you know.Thank you