December 26-31, 2021
with Gen Samten Kelsang
LIVESTREAM & IN-PERSON
FOR ONLINE VIEWING: This retreat will be available to watch on-demand through January 7th at midnight.
The empowerment session will ONLY be available live and will not be on-demand.
Please note: Those who book to attend onsite will not receive links to the live-stream sessions.
Experience the radical, positive change that comes from meditation. Beginning our meditative life changes us for the better. Eventually, we want to discover how to move from a basic, meditation experience into realizations of meditation. A realization is a deeper, more profound understanding that truly shift the way we live, think, and treat other people. This will help us tremendously and also help others.
This course is an unprecedented opportunity to learn the practical techniques for making meditations powerful. Gen Samten has been practicing and teaching meditation for many decades and has spent countless hours in meditation retreat. He will be transmitting essential wisdom on this topic and lead us on this experiential journey.
This process will be aided by receiving the blessing empowerment of Buddha Vajrapani. Vajrapani is the embodiment of all the spiritual power of all enlightened beings. He has the function of removing our inner as well as outer obstacles and negativities. Often we run into challenges that impede or delay our spiritual development. Vajrapani is like a strong friend and ally who will help us gain the confidence to transcend these obstacles.
Full Retreat: $140
Monday (empowerment day): $60
Tuesday-Thursday: $20 per day
Accommodation: varies (sold separately)
Meals: $7 each lunch/supper
There are three parts to registration – course fee, accommodations and meals.
Livestream: We use Zoom as our livestream platform, so you will need to use Zoom to log into the sessions.
Sunday, December 26th
7:30-9:00pm: Introduction w/Kadam Kyle
Monday, December 27th
9:00-10:00am: Meditation w/Kadam Kyle
11:00am-1:00pm: Vajrapani Empowerment w/Gen Samten
4:30-6:00: Session 1 w/Gen Samten
7:30-9:00pm: Session 2 /Gen Samten
Tuesday, December 28th
9:00-10:00am: Session 3 w/Kadam Kyle
11:00am-12:30pm: Session 4 w/Gen Samten
4:30-6:00: Session 5 w/Gen Samten
7:30-9:00pm: Session 6 /Gen Samten
Wednesday, December 29th
9:00-10:00am: Session 7 w/Kadam Kyle
11:00am-12:30pm: Session 8 w/Gen Samten
2:30-6pm: Melodious Drum Puja
7:30-9:00pm: Session 9 w/Gen Samten
Thursday, December 30th
9:00-10:00am: Session 10 w/Kadam Kyle
11:00am-12:30pm: Session 11 w/Gen Samten
4:30-6:00: Session 12 w/Gen Samten
7:30-9:00pm: Session 13 /Gen Samten
Friday, December 31st
9:00-10:00am: Session 14 w/Kadam Kyle
11:00am-12:30pm: Session 15 w/Gen Samten
Our COVID-19 Guidelines
Updated December 10, 2021:
Per updated New York state guidelines, as of December 13, 2021, all businesses and venues are to require that masks be worn in indoor public spaces. Based on this new state guidance, masks are required in all public indoor spaces at KMC New York, including the meditation room throughout sessions and in the dining room when not actively eating or drinking. The information below was included in your confirmation email, but please read it carefully to ensure you fully understand our protocols. If you do not follow these guidelines, we may have to ask you to leave.
- When wearing a mask or face covering, we ask that it fully covers your nose and mouth.
- We are asking all residents and guests to wear masks in all common areas of the houses and center buildings.
- When entering the Temple, World Peace Cafe, and Shop, everyone should wear a mask. In the cafe, please take off your mask to eat or drink only; please wear it when you are not actively eating or drinking. In the meditation room, please continue to wear your mask.
- Please refrain from chanting prayers out loud.
- Volunteers who are serving food in the dining room or helping in the cafe and shop should wear masks.
- In the dining room, please wear your mask, even while seated, unless you are actively eating or drinking.
- In the interest of the safety of everyone who attends, we are requiring that individuals staying in a dorm or shared room be fully vaccinated because social distancing and face coverings are not possible in these types of accommodation. Full vaccination means your stay onsite in a dorm or shared room must be at least 2 weeks after receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) or at least 2 weeks after receipt of the single dose of the Janssen vaccine. Proof of full vaccination will be required for your stay in a dorm or shared room. Those who are unvaccinated can book single or deluxe rooms onsite. A COVID test is no longer required. Please note: by booking by one of these rooms, you are choosing to stay in a room with someone you do not know.
Gen Samten Kelsang
Gen Samten Kelsang is an ordained Buddhist monk and is the Resident Teacher of Kadampa Meditation Center New York. He has been studying and practicing Buddhism for over thirty years and is one of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s most senior students.